CAVCON and Guilds Awareness Party

78 respuestas [Último envío]
Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008

Hi Guys!

Today explorer Gahlen contacted me with a suggestion for increasing Explorers awareness of our existance and at the same time of the "CAVCON problem" that was discovered recently.

I think this is a good idea since a lot of regular explorers in Cavern know nothing of what happens out of the Cavern, so they don't know where to find Myst related news, they have to idea of the existance of the Guilds, and they have no idea the game is funded by donations.

So the proposal would be to have some Cavern Criers go around the city for the next two weeks, with an organized schedule to spread the KiMail and talk about CAVCON and the Guild to as much people as possible.

What do you think?

I'll start to compile a schedule, soon. Post here if you are interested in participating and which hours you would be available.

EDIT:

We will have a party.

The Party will be on October, Friday 21st in the City Instance of the Hood of Illusions! The reference for the 24 hours (or a bit more XD) will be the UTC time.

Access to the Age will be granted by a bot developed by the Gray Hats

Hour of the day (in UTC, for KiTime subtract 6 hours) D'niJ Reference Person Activity
00.00 Lord Chaos AgeExplorer  
01.00 Lord Chaos AgeExplorer  
02.00 Lord Chaos AgeExplorer  
03.00 Ace AgeExplorer  
04.00 Ace AgeExplorer  
05.00 Ace AgeExplorer  
06.00   Rhee  
07.00 janeerah Rhee  
08.00 janeerah    
09.00 adi    
10.00 adi    
11.00 adi    
12.00 adi   Trekluver
13.00 Alien   Trekluver
14.00 Alien Rhee  
15.00 Alien Rhee  
16.00 Alien   Alien
17.00 Alien Leonardo Alien
18.00 Rhee Leonardo  
19.00 Dichromus Leonardo  
20.00 Dichromus Leonardo  
21.00 Dichromus Leonardo  
22.00 Dichromus Leonardo  
23.00 Donahoo Doobes  
00.00 -- Here starts Saturday 22nd Donahoo Doobes  
01.00 Donahoo Doobes  
02.00 Donahoo Doobes  

*For Time Conversions use TimeZoneConverter

Webradios URLs:

Lunanne
Imagen de Lunanne
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Ene 17 2010

sounds good! I'll post times later.

kaeebonrai
Imagen de kaeebonrai
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 20 2008

Wouldn't it be better to hold an event, a party, for example, rather than simply send out the Cavern Criers?

I'd imagine we'd probably get a better result if we engage with the explorers in the cavern, rather than merely send them KIMails...

Just a thought.

Doobes
Imagen de Doobes
Desconectado/a
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger
se unió: Dic 15 2010

kaelisebonrai wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to hold an event, a party, for example, rather than simply send out the Cavern Criers?

Why not do both?  A bunch of Criers roaming around the cavern, passing out information, with mention of a big event/get together at the end.  Something to build up to?

I would also like to volunteer time to do some Crier work.  Any time in the evening (Central US time) would be acceptable, barring any last minute things that come up. ;)

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

I like the idea of a party. As we discussed in IRC chat, I would like to cover the bigger timezones possible so I would like to organize a 24h hours party.

If we can find enough D'niJs to organize it, and enough messengers to coordinate the party and speak about the CAVCON, and let people know about the guild.

I have thought we can contact:

_The DMR

_Lord Chaos

_Zedra

_Donahoo

The big question is the day.

We will expand the project to other Guilds too

AgeExplorer
Imagen de AgeExplorer
Desconectado/a
Cavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Feb 9 2011

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll help distribute the news too. :) It seems like I've missed a lot of big news from not being online at my usual time over the past couple days. LOL

Donahoo
Desconectado/a
se unió: Oct 9 2011

Hi Leonard, thanks for the message about this. I would love to participate, however I am scheduled to work the weekend of October 22-23. I will be off on Friday October 21 and Monday October 24 but most parties have bettter attendance on weekends. You might contact Dichromus instead of Zedra; she hasn't done any parties since getting a new computer.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

kaelisebonrai wrote:

I'd imagine we'd probably get a better result if we engage with the explorers in the cavern, rather than merely send them KIMails...

Just a thought.

If you plan a party *instead* of sending out the Criers, how are the people in the cavern who don't visit the forums going to learn about it?   It's kind of a Catch-22.  Some of the forum-goers might ask others in cavern, "Have you heard about the party to raise CAVCON awareness?" but your results will be unpredictable.

Cavern Crying is not about "merely sending KIMails".  The times I've helped with it, I've always understood that we were to converse with people, and share KIMail with those who agree to accept it.  You have to get out there and approach explorers, shake hands, and look at their faces.

I'm not against a party.  By all means, have one - but it cannot be a substitute for sending out the Criers, and I wanted to correct the apparent misperception that Crying doesn't involve engaging the explorers.  It most definitely IS about engaging them. cool

Doobes has the right idea.  Do both.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Ok....but what was meant with the idea of Cavern Crying was an "intensive" crying XD

Regular crying can and will be done, at least by me. We don't have active Criers right now...but for sure we can find some of them for a limited period

kaeebonrai
Imagen de kaeebonrai
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ene 20 2008

I'm aware of what is involved in Cavern Crying...

A party can and will engage the explorer community far more than merely doing "intensive cavern crying". Sending KIMails and talking to an explorer on a one-off occasion in the city, etc... Will not, and does not, have the same effect as a large event and a party.

I agree that some cavern crying to get the word out is a good idea, and I don't believe I ever suggested that was a bad idea, or that we should not do that.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

OK.  As long as we're on the same page and doing both, I'm satisfied.  I am not going to nitpick on technicalities.  smiley

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Since we haven't a lot of D'niJs, I'd try to accomodate the more of them. Since Donahoo told us she is free on Friday 21st, I'd select it for the day of our party.

It's a friday so maybe people will be more prone to show up in their respective evenings and it shouldn't go against other parties in Cavern. I'll have to hear from LC, since I have his Up on the Root party (SL) on the calendar but I don't know if it's still running.

Donahoo
Desconectado/a

Friday works for me Leonardo; I'll take 7-11 PM Eastern time if it is open, just let me know where. The party needs to be in a public place with no population limit. I know there are a few of those, not sure which ones, other than the Watcher's Sanctuary.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Yeah, the place will be the next thing to discuss. I was thinking to a Hood, or Kirel. Or....I know it could be a problem but I would love Eder Tsogahl.

I will make a schedule for the day soon. and I will confirm as soon as I get in touch with LordChaos. ^^

Donahoo
Desconectado/a

Well, the only way to get people to Eder Tsogal who are not members of the hood is to have a member sharing the linking stone. And that is not always reliable.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

O.O did something change since last time I opened a door? XD

Usually the Garden ages are accessible by everyone, they just have to link to the specified Hood and use the book found in the Linking room. The link shouldn't take them in their hood instance, but to the (e.g.) GoMe hood instance. At least that's how it worked, and how it is used for making Door Runs as far as I know.

Here is a list Guilds that I have contacted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mBXaEFJs4fxrfHg_CBAUluaWPxYIELfZmJ0y...

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

I've sent a message to Lord Chaos' presence in Second Life to ensure he knows you're trying to reach him, Leo.

Hoikas
Desconectado/a
se unió: Feb 2 2008

If the Hood of Illusions age instances are still on the table, I would be willing to write a party bot that does some special effects and would facillitate* linking to the party. I'm doing a lot of work on my MOUL tools, and this would be a great opportunity to try them out. Of course, I'd be open to suggestions for features, but how much gets done is wholly dependent on how far away the party is and how busy R/L is.

* By "facilitating linking", that means: If the party is in a hard to reach age (like the HoI city) or if a population limit has been reached, the bot will Yeesha link anyone to the party who sends it a PM indicating they wish to be linked.

I was going to put my normal sig image here, then I realized some silly goose set the max sizes too low.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

That can be a wonderful way of opening the road to not-so-accessible-good-ages for the party!

And for the Special Effects, as long as they won't affect too much the user experience they are ok. Some people don't like too much the Fun House Effects and we want to be open to everyone...or maybe even better, we can reserve a time slot for Fun House Special Effects. So who don't like those things can avoid the place for that time slot, and come later or earlier.

Donahoo
Desconectado/a

Leonardo wrote:

O.O did something change since last time I opened a door? XD

Usually the Garden ages are accessible by everyone, they just have to link to the specified Hood and use the book found in the Linking room. The link shouldn't take them in their hood instance, but to the (e.g.) GoMe hood instance. At least that's how it worked, and how it is used for making Door Runs as far as I know.

You are absolutely right, I was thinking of the private city linking stone.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

I have added a TimeSlots table in the first post of the thread. (refresh the cache of your browser if you don't see the borders of the table)

I hope it is ok with everybody to use UTC as common timezone, since it was designed for this.

Dichromus
Desconectado/a
se unió: Oct 12 2011

I can DJ the 19:00 to 23:00 timeslot, (4 hours).  Please let me know if this is OK.  cool

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!!" - MgSgt Hartman, Full Metal Jacket. 

Donahoo
Desconectado/a

Is that the 4 hours before I start? I hate time zones!

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Since he didn't specify any timezone I guess he intends UTC time, so yes the 4 hours before you Donahoo :)

Thanks for your collaboration Dichromus!!

We will have to compile a list of servers/places for where to get the music from to distribute during the party.

YAY this party is growing perfectly. For the records: I have been contacted by adi and Alien for more D'niJing and the Guild of Instructors has been contacted too

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Jahmen, extending upon a general idea of "donation event" proposed by adi, has suggested a party much as you're planning now in the CAVCON thread at the MOUL forums.  It might be worthwhile to post there now that this is in the works.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=377623#377623

Also, Jmp12 has suggested that someone maintain a KImail with the current CAVCON information in-cavern.  Interesting idea.  I would imagine you'd want to put the current value in the title, because people might look it it now and then in their collection of KImails but not open it unless they notice the title changed. Jmp's idea seems like a natural fit for the Messengers.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=377625#377625

adi
Desconectado/a
se unió: Oct 13 2011

Shorah fellow explorers~! ^^

Let me start by saying how great this is we're gonna have a party! And for a good cause.

As you may already know, I'd like to contribute to the music, but for now I think I'll wait until a couple more D'niJ's offer and get their timeslots.

I'd like also to point out a small issue that will come up but may cause some inconvenience for all: We all may have to use the same broadcasting stream, otherwise it will be confusing to use for explorers who will need to leave the game and get back or need to leave the game but not their computer.

Otherwise we may need to compile a list with the different streams we'll be using (which I suppose are those of SL and listen2myradio.com) and share it in the boards or via KImail.

I also *suppose* -without having talked to Alien about it yet though- that she wouldn't mind offering Pod Party's stream for the whole day. A link familiar to many and used by many so far. ^^

However the free version there in listen2myradio.com is for about 50 listeners so we need a backup plan in case there will be more listeners for that day, which is something we all expect and all hope for I guess.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Thank you for your post adi! It wonderful to have another D'niJ.

For the streaming problems, yes the ideal situation would be having one shared channel where all the D'niJ stream. I don't think this is a doable thing in just a week tough, so I would just point to making a KIMail for all the explorers with our schedule and the respective servers to listen to the music.

Dichromus
Desconectado/a
se unió: Oct 12 2011

Please let us DJ's know when and where we should post our stream URL's. Thanks. cool

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!!" - MgSgt Hartman, Full Metal Jacket. 

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

You can post it right here. I will make a list in the first post and when we are ready will make a KIMail out of it.

Now, I would like to make some more organization for the party. That is, since the party should be 24hours it's very unlikely I can stay online for all of them, so I would like to make a list of reference persons for the day that will take care of keeping the party on its rails and coordinate things, send KIMails, welcome people. That sort of things.

Everyone could be a reference person, it's not a requirement to be of the GoMe. On the contrary I would like to have people from other guilds alternate in the lead of the party. I'm adding a column to the table on the first post for this!

And I'm also adding a new column for events, in case someone wants to organize games or activities during the party along with the music.

Donahoo
Desconectado/a

http://gtradio.zapto.org:8000

My stream information, good for 50 people..

AgeExplorer
Imagen de AgeExplorer
Desconectado/a
Cavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Feb 9 2011

I will volunteer to be reference person for the first 6 time slots. :)